Thursday, January 24, 2008

Days 109 – 110: Chiang Mai

My business in Chiang Mai was simple: book a minibus/slow boat ticket to Luang Prabang, in Laos; stop by Chiang Mai Rock Climbing Adventures, congratulate Josh Morris on his engagement, and ask for suggestions on where to go in Cambodia; get laundry done; and get a (much-needed) haircut.

Everything went according to plan except the haircut (I got butchered! And I got a haircut at the same place last time I was in town and it had turned out so well!) and the trip to Luang Prabang—everything was full for the following day, so I would have to wait until Friday to leave. Fortunately, Chiang Mai is a pleasant enough place to kill time.

Josh had plenty of advice on where to go in Cambodia, although I’m thinking that I might have a hard time getting around in small towns given that I don’t speak any Khmer. But that’s usually just when it starts to get fun.

Next stop, Luang Prabang, followed by more Laos and then Cambodia. Things should get more interesting from here.

No comments: